Kristin reminded me that I forgot to post a funny part of the trip...
I relearned how much bigger things appear when you are little than when you are grown up. I remember when we were little we had these HUGE sleeping bags and they were warm and wonderful. So my dad was going through all their camping stuff and trying to get rid of it. They weren’t going to use it and so the Spence’s and us Readings were going to take the stuff that was still in good condition. We ended up with some rafts (and accessories), sleeping bags, and a totally sweet tent!

(The Tent - For reference on size, I am almost 5' 3" and standing to the side of the picture, Rich, is 6' or 6' 1" I think...)
We took a couple sleeping bags and gave the rest to Matt and Mickie. I think they ended up with the one my dad always used i think. Anyway, turns out, they are still warm and wonderful, and plenty big enough for a gal my size. For Preston on the other hand, not so much. He held the sleeping bag up to him and it came up to his chest/armpits! Hahahahaha! His head froze all night! He also couldn't scrunch down because the sleeping bag was too tight as it was... He had to unzip it and use it more like a blanket. I felt so bad about it. He finally found a blanket that he could put over his sleeping bag so he didn't get as cold... So now I know one thing he might get for his birthday on Thursday... A new sleeping bag that fits tall people and not just us shorties.
Another funny story... We had to set up our tent when we got back to sweep it out and let it air out to prevent the mildew and mold. We decided to set up the tent we got from my dad too, "to see if it was worth keeping." The back story with the tent - Preston has a hard time accepting donations of old stuff from people. He would much rather us wait till we need it and then buy it brand new. I realize the value and savings so I usually accept donations for certain things. (We had just gotten a few bins of kids clothes and Preston was kind of annoyed about that. We aren't using them in the near future, so he doesn't really see the point. He will someday I'm sure. )
Anyway, then we get this old camping stuff from my parents. He thought great, old camping stuff. It's not going to get used cause we already have a tent... blah blah. Anyway, I tried to convince him that it would be in good condition and worth having. He didn't believe me till we pulled out the "old tent" that my dad gave us. His eyes started to get bigger and bigger as he kept unrolling it and unrolling it. Then his eyes got even bigger when the poles went up and he saw that he could stand up throughout the ENTIRE tent with out even a slight hunch! The tent is a really nice old (maybe 20-25 years old?) canvas tent with the industrial thick tarp bottom with 9" high sidewalls. It has overhangs around all four sides too. He is now WAY TOO EXCITED to go camping again, and is ready to jump at the chance! Anybody wanna go camping? lol! :)
WHHHHAAAAA? We totally got jipped in the tent catagory! Wait, did you say we got a tent too? i really need to go through that stuff and see what we have. That tent is awesome I had no idea Dad had such a freakishly large tent... Preston should know by know hand me downs from mom and dad are worth it because dad is so darn meticulous!
ReplyDeleteI figure we can alternate with the tent... We really just threw stuff in Truck and brought it over to Matt to pack, not thinking about it. We honestly didn't mean to gyp ya with the tent. Promise. We didn't remember ever having such a cool one like this!! It does have mold on it. Come to find out, dad never used it, just loaned it out to people...
ReplyDeleteHahaha, y'all got the bins of kids clothes!!! Just kiddin', I know how Preston feels a bit. I got uncomfortable with the idea of our place being the "temporary storage unit", but some stuff we all just got to live with!
ReplyDelete