Tuesday, April 5, 2011

More creations!

So they aren't really my creations alone. My mother-in-law and I did it as a team. She does a lot more work than I do with these creations, since I am incompetent with a sewing machine. So I think up what I want and then we/she make(s) it! I believe we make a great team... :)

So the first creation is a valance to go over my sliding glass door. The creation of this one was a hybrid from a few different things that I have seen and I think that it turned out quite nice. I love this material too! We got all the fabric at a step down sale in downtown SL area. It was only 2-5 bucks a yard, depending on the material (originally $20-$35!).

So the idea was to get a really wide rod to put through the top but I didn't want to pay $40-$60 for one so we decided on another way. That's a cheap wally world rod that extends from the wall 3.5" and then we added a spare blind through the hole to give it a little more rigid look. If you can tell there is a box pleat in the middle and gathers at the corners.

The next creation is a cornice box for my living room. Marianne got some extra wood from a friend of hers so we had some free wood to use. For this, we used a 1/4" plywood. We cut up the pieces on the table saw (all by ourselves), then used wood glue and a staple gun to put it all together. In this picture you can see that we were padding it with a double layer of batting. The thing is 90" long I believe... It was hard to hold and cut a piece of wood that massive. It was from a full 8' x 4' sheet...

(This is in her lovely house btw...)

And here is the final product!!
We actually still need to do a little adjusting. We need to hang the orange sheers higher so they don't hang below the cornice box...



3 comments:

  1. Can you and Marianne come out when we move and help me with all our window coverings too? They all look lovely. Well the guy in the last picture isn't so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...they look fabulous! So glad you two make a great team!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I noticed the valance in the picture of the banner from the shower and I thought it looked really pretty...and expensive! How cool that you made it yourself!

    ReplyDelete