Monday, September 28, 2009

It was intense… Like Camping!

Preston and I went on a camping trip a little while ago… (Just like all the other posts so far… Still playing catch up… don’t worry!) We wanted to test out the new tent we got for our wedding. We also got a lantern and coolers, so we had to test it all out.

We decided to head up the Canyons to see if there was a spot up Little Cottonwood or Big Cottonwood… I can’t remember which is which. So we get up there thinking we are definitely going to find a spot. It was supposed to rain that night and be pretty windy and just overall, a bad weekend to go camping. Preston and I were so excited to go though, we just wanted to. WELL, turns out there were a million ward campouts that night and of course those aren’t going to be cancelled… Every camp site was taken!

On our drive back from a failed attempt of getting a campsite up the Canyons

It was a really pretty sunset!

Preston decided that we should go out to Five Mile Pass to camp where he used to go hunting (for what I don’t remember… maybe ducks? Or something else… hahaha). Anyway, we get out there and he can’t find the road so we decide that we will just take the next one. It turned into an ATV trail and we ended up going down this HUGE drop-off… I was nervous, but Preston was so excited to test out the truck! We made it down just fine, only to see that we should really turn around and go back where we came from. Again, the truck did fine going up the steep grade…

We found a pretty flat spot eventually, so we set up camp… It was REALLY windy that night, which didn’t help in the set up process. Also, the “flat” spot we found was COVERED in prickly weeds that left stickers ALL OVER our clothes… Also, since we were in the middle of now where in the midst of a ton of dry weeds and wind, we decided that we really shouldn’t make a campfire. All the food we brought in our nice new cooler was kind of a waste other than the powerades… We decided to read and go to bed (since by now it was about 1:00 am!)


Preston blowing up the air matress pad... thing...

About 5:00 a.m. hits and both Preston and I are awake watching the top of our tent being blown everywhere. At one point it was literally on top of us, flattened by the wind. We decided to look out the window to see what was going on. Yup! You guessed it! The biggest blackest clouds I think I have ever seen! We were about to get impaled with rain! Quickly we thought through our options: a) wait out the rain storm and try and pack up afterwards with a muddy mess of a tent, or b) pack up faster than lightning, before the rain hits! We went with option b! We gave ourselves all of about 10-15 minutes to take down, and pack up everything. About 15 minutes later we were done and driving back home! Just as we both hopped into the truck to go the rain hit. It hit hard! It was hitting so hard the rain drops would bounce up about a foot off the ground. It was intense! Like camping!... HAHAHAHA!

So, we made it back to our house, and with only a few hours of sleep, we decided it was nap time and got 4 more hours! What an adventure! J I guess our tent has proved it’s self!

4 comments:

  1. Ha when was that? Sounds like a failed attempt... I would have been a grumpy gus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a few weeks after we got back from the honeymoon... I can't remember which weekend but it definitely didn't feel like camping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good reminder for why I don't care for camping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why would anyone go camping???? Really!!!???

    ReplyDelete